About The Artist.... Simone Hester

Simone Hester was born in Chicago, Illinois and raised on the far south side of the city. She found an interest in art at an early age. At the recommendation of her teachers, she began private art lessons at a small art studio in the suburbs of Chicago. She was tutored, mentored and exposed to a variety of art mediums from calligraphy, etching, Chinese watercolors, acryllics, and oil painting. There she developed a love for drawing and painting. She broadened her art education by taking a variety of elective art classes in high school and college. Upon college graduation, her first professional position allowed her to work in graphic designs and further her knowledge of computers. Once given a digital camera, she combined her love of computers, painting, and photographs to develop her very own technique in creative digital photography. The computer has become her paintbrush and allows her to stretch the natural boundaries that a typical photograph is held to. She recently left the traditional workforce to work on her art full time and contribute to her website (http://www.simonehester.com/) and write her blog on photography, art, and everything else she finds creative.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What's In A Name?...

Often, I have been asked, how do I come up with the titles to some of my pieces.... I will share with you the best advice that I was ever offered on the subject.  My watercolor teacher simply told me to think about the mood that you are in while you are working on your painting, poem, photograph or whatever you fancy and upon completion name it the first thing that comes to your head.  I will give you four examples of where my mood and mind were when it came time to name that image.

First up is a personal one, on a recent mini vacay, I witnessed my host diving to the bottom of the lake to collect large stones to place within his garden.  I watched him for a half an hour diligently diving and bringing up these stones, each one very unique.  Within those thirty minutes he managed to collect dozens of stones, I happened to capture a pretty cool image.  His thought to repurpose put me in such a good mood, hence the warm glows of the image and the name as a result... "Bill's Rocks."

"Bill's Rocks" (c) 2011

The second example, is a simple one.  I have an image of wood in many forms, I enhanced the grain and added more texture.  The name for this one.... "Wood Grain."


"Wood Grain" (c) 2011

The third example, is a literal one, a personal fear of mine.  That is the fear of spiders, however, I am not fearful enough not to capture it's image.  This guy was pretty large and made a home in my front bushes.  He is about 3 inches long and the yellow and black colors beckoned me to take the picture!  This one is appropriately titled "Arachnophobia."


"Arachnophobia" (c) 2011

My last example is an abstract, the name does not reflect at all the subject of the image.  In this case, Marina Towers in Chicago, Illinois.  I was in a great mood while working on the image and even more thrilled with the end result.  When I looked at the picture though, it reminded me of a staple in our country.... corn.  The buildings looked like to giant stalks of cob corn and I couldn't help but name this one "Corn on the Cob."


"Corn on the Cob" (c) 2010

So always remember your mood and the first thing that comes to your head when you are thinking of a way to creatively come up with names for your work.  The names that you will create will always be distinct and add a little something extra to the piece.

No comments: