About The Artist.... Simone Hester

Simone Hester was born in Chicago, Illinois and raised on the far south side of the city. She found an interest in art at an early age. At the recommendation of her teachers, she began private art lessons at a small art studio in the suburbs of Chicago. She was tutored, mentored and exposed to a variety of art mediums from calligraphy, etching, Chinese watercolors, acryllics, and oil painting. There she developed a love for drawing and painting. She broadened her art education by taking a variety of elective art classes in high school and college. Upon college graduation, her first professional position allowed her to work in graphic designs and further her knowledge of computers. Once given a digital camera, she combined her love of computers, painting, and photographs to develop her very own technique in creative digital photography. The computer has become her paintbrush and allows her to stretch the natural boundaries that a typical photograph is held to. She recently left the traditional workforce to work on her art full time and contribute to her website (http://www.simonehester.com/) and write her blog on photography, art, and everything else she finds creative.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Buildings, Flowers, Lines and Curves...

First off, let me apologize for such a time lapse in my usually weekly blog.  With my show running this month, the reception and back to school, I have been quite busy and neglected my blogging duties.  So let's get down to business...

I have decided to take a little time off from creating new pieces and focus more on the business end of promoting and selling my artwork.  I will hold off creating new work until my trip to Puerto Rico next month, because I won't be able to help myself.  Anyway, I have decided to focus more on the business end.  With that said, one of the first challenges any artist has is to gain an audience.  With technology today, it is easier than it has ever been, but it can also be more daunting.  The first challenge and most recommended step is to create an online gallery of your work.  There are several free places to showcase your work 500px.com, flickr.com, facebook.com, deviantart.com and so on.  I happened to have my work on each of these sites (thus the mention). You can also pay for your own domain and domain hosting (some services are offered for free but may show advertising), which I have done as well.

After you get your artwork online, how do you direct traffic to your site(s)?  This to me is the most daunting part.  You have to promote yourself.  There are many opportunities to do this as well and I am still getting the hang of it.  You can utilize the social media circuit, self promoting via Facebook, Google+, and Twitter.  I use both Facebook and Twitter, but primarily I use Twitter the most.  It is a very clean and convenient way of promoting your work with just 140 characters.  Meaning that you always have to get to the point.  Where you must not fail to get the purpose of Twitter is by only doing self promos about your work.  Twitter is a social networking site and that means that you have to establish relationships, comment on your fellow artists' tweets and work.  Retweet information that you find informative and worth sharing with your followers.  The biggest lesson that I have learned so far, is that if someone in your field follows you, than by all means, follow them back.  It is just simple Twitter etiquette.

However, the most traditional is by far entering gallery competitions, participating in local and area art fairs (once you become more successful you can expand to state, regional, national and international).  Get involved in as many competitions and galleries that you can, and by all means do not be afraid of rejections.  I have had more rejections than I can count, and each one hurts, but I keep my head up and move on to the next opportunity.  By participating in fairs, gallery showings, etc. is that it is a resume builder, you are gaining more experience, and someone who has turned you down before, might eventually change their mind because you are a more seasoned artist.  Be sure to attend all receptions that include your work and any reception that you are not participating in as an opportunity to network and learn about others in your field or artists that utilize a different medium.  You will be amazed at the wide spectrum of mediums out there. 

The best opportunity by far, is the solo exhibit.  This is a gallery who decides to showcase only your work.  I have recently been blessed with this opportunity and I currently have 20 pieces on display in my solo show "Buildings, Flowers, Lines, and Curves."  The interesting thing with your own show is that you have more say in the curation process and the flow of how your pieces are highlighted.  I was provided a reception free of charge for about 100 guests.  My first solo show was at a major university, so I was able to introduce numerous students to my style of photography and answer any questions they might have.  It was a wonderful opportunity and I am forever grateful for the institution hosting me as an artists.  Below are shots from the curation process and the show set up.  If you are in the Chicago area the show information will be below the images.





"Buildings, Flowers, Lines and Curves"
August 22 to September 22, 2011
A. Montgomery Ward Gallery
(UIC Student Center East)
750 South Halsted, Chicago, Illinois 60607

Hours: Mon to Thurs, 11 am to 8 pm
Fridays, 11 am to 5 pm

No comments: